Wordsearch maker (teachers-direct.co.uk)
The wordsearch maker at teachers-direct.co.uk offers a number of customisation options that makes it better than the average puzzle maker.
After entering a list of words for the wordsearch, which can be pasted from another application, such as MS Word, there are 2 options for customising it:
- Choose the direction the words will appear:
- from left to right and top to bottom, reflecting the natural direction which the eye scans a page;
- for extra challenge, the words can appear in all directions.
- Choose what letters fill the blank spaces in the wordsearch. This feature is particularly useful for customising the difficulty of the wordsearch:
- have the blank spaces filled with random letters of the alphabet (easy);
- have the blank spaces filled with letters reflecting the frequency with which they appear in the English language (medium);
- have the blank spaces filled with letters reflecting the words that are in the wordsearch (difficult).
The website also offers a database of wordsearches saved by other users, categorised by subject.